Sunday, November 20, 2016

The one with my DIY chalkboard and different chalkboard designs

In real life I'm a teacher and of course because of that I love all chalkboard things and blackboard printables available online. Thus I made myself a chalkboard for my hallway some time ago. It's a very easy DIY and I'm happy to share how I did it with you here.




Things you need:
  • Wood (of the size you'd like) 
  • Chalk board paint
  • Painting tools
  • Sanding paper 
  • Multi purpose filler 
  • Chalk
  • Screws, wall plugs / screw anchor, etc. for mounting 
How to go about this DIY: 
  1. Paint the wood with the chalkboard paint. It's best to use a paint roller as it gets more even. 
  2. After letting it dry throughly, sand it down a bit with sanding paper. 
  3. Apply another coat of paint and be patient again to let it dry. 
  4. Now your chalk board is finished and can be mounted to the wall. We used four screws - one for each corner.
  5. I put some multi purpose filler over the screws, sanded it down, and painted it with the chalk board paint so that the chalk board is even. 
  6. Now get creative with your chalk on your chalk board. 
Maybe try one of my designs. The first one I made was this Christmas design: 


I still love it and think it's really funny. Perfect if you're having a Christmas party. Another Christmas / winter theme is this chalkboard art:


(For those of you who don't speak German: it says "Merry Christmas" and the signpost leads the way to the North Pole, the Christmas market, and the ski slope.)

This is one of my fits-every-season-designs from the category motivational quotes:


And finally a summer design that I used this year: 


It was especially a special design to me as I made it just before my host sister and her husband came to visit us. It was so much fun to have them, our best Kiwi friends, here and we made some fun memories.

Do you have any events or memories that inspired you to create chalkboard art?
Lots of love, 
Marijke 

No comments:

Post a Comment